Sunday, August 21, 2022

Game Night Light 31

I hauled out an old game, Afrika Korps, by Avalon Hill. Somehow I have the third edition rules. Who knew?


The Germans did well, inflicting casualties on the British at little cost. And finally taking Tobruk fairly quickly. My memory was that was more difficult. I guess I didn't deploy my British units properly. Although the Germans never rolled even an exchange in the attacks to pay a price. That hurt.

But the Germans were unable to push beyond Sidi Barrani as losses finally kicked in and British forces threatened encirclement on the south side of the escarpment while German supplies had to evade British deep raiders.

The Germans pulled back to hold Tobruk but had to pull back even farther. It was seemingly impossible to concentrate enough forces for a solid counter-attack without exposing flanks. The Italians were left to hold Tobruk, hoping to hang on to keep added German replacements coming in. The British managed to take the port rather quickly, too.

Instead of making a stand at that point the Germans pulled back to Agedabia. The British followed, finally built up larger formations with reinforcements and replacements, and pounded at the German line.

The game ended here:


I thought it was a draw until I read the victory conditions again and saw that the British win if they keep the Germans from winning. Oops.

I really should have tried to have the Germans take risks rather than pull back to Tobruk.

The game is still fun. The game is more fun for the German player. The British have to really play a different game with its weaker units delaying the Germans and using up their supplies; while avoiding encirclement or supplying the Germans with captured supply units.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't moderate comments, but please keep it clean. If I notice something amiss, I will remove the comment.