Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Game Night Light 21

Monday was the return of game night. Which promptly stumbled on the speed bump of rules that resemble the operating manual of a SpaceX ship than game rules.

This was the game:


The basic set! As I understand it, there are many expansions that I swear provide a negative modifier on certain die rolls if a warp drive technician third class has a hangover, a hang nail, or recently broke up with his girl friend.

I have fond memories of the game Star Fleet Battles from college. A friend had it and he easily taught it to us. But it seems to have gotten ultra-complicated in an effort to satisfy the cadre of players who believe they are simulating space combat.

I bought the game many years ago, thinking it would be a great multi-player game.

We started plugging along with a one-on-one duel, planning to use just basic rules. But we foundered on the complexity of the rules that did not easily show where the simple game stopped and the field manual began.

Jesus, people. We don't need to know how to field strip a Klingon D-7 starship.

How we didn't drink all of the beer is beyond me:

After two hours as we were just beginning to start the first turn, we gave up. For now.

I had downloaded a basic simplified version of the rules some time ago and figured I'd print it out.

I found the simple rules. At 52 pages. Fifty-two! I emailed them to the Klingon and myself and, after finally fixing the sudden lack of email on my Amazon Fire tablet that would not recognize my valid password, finally added a new mail app and opened the PDF of the rules on the tablet. 

So now I will read those and hopefully they will be a better way back into the fun that the game once was.

I swear to God I'm not going to study as if my MOS is United States Space Force Starship Commander.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't moderate comments, but please keep it clean. If I notice something amiss, I will remove the comment.